Elders At Home Are More Prone To Anxiety And Depression. Here’s why!
It is difficult for elders who are living by themselves to maintain positivity all the time. Cognitive impairment and dementia are the most common mental health issues among the elderly. Depression and mood disorders are common among older adults, and they often go undiagnosed and untreated.
As our loved ones’ age, it is natural to see some changes in their behavior. Regular forgetfulness is one thing; however continuous cognitive or memory loss is more serious and shouldn’t be ignored. Apart from depression, anxiety is also one of the mental health problems among the elderly. Here is a list of the warning signs of both anxiety and depression in the older adults. If you notice any of these signs, look for medical help or 24hr Live-In Care in NY.
- Changes in appearance or dressing, or problems maintaining the home or yard.
- Confusion, disorientation, problems with concentration or decision-making.
- Decrease or increase in appetite; sudden change in weight.
- Depressed mood lasting longer than two weeks.
- Feelings of worthlessness, guilt, helplessness, or thoughts of suicide.
- Memory loss, especially recent or short-term memory problems.
- Physical problems that can’t otherwise be explained: aches, constipation, etc.
- Social withdrawal; loss of interest in things that once used to be enjoyable for them.
- Trouble handling finances or working with numbers.
- Unexplained fatigue, energy loss or sleep changes.
Sage Home Care is one of the companies you can get in touch with for the best home health care services in New York. We offer services like companion care, 24-hour live-in care, hourly care, overnight care, fall prevention, and more. Our trained and experience caregivers can help your senior loved one with everything from bathing and showering, personal hygiene, medication reminders and documentation, light housekeeping and laundry, shopping errands and transportation, to meal preparation, menu planning, and several other daily living activities. If you are looking for compassionate and trustworthy caregivers or senior care companions in NY, we are just a call away! Feel free to reach out to us @1-800-578-4554!