Caring for Seniors With Arthritis
Arthritis is a condition that is characterized by inflammation of the joints. The joints become stiff and painful when arthritis attacks. An individual suffering from this condition will have limited mobility. A lot of seniors with arthritis require assistance through our expert Greenwich home care in order to meet or exceed their personal goals.
Types and symptoms of arthritis
There are different types of arthritis but the most common among seniors are the following:
- rheumatoid arthritis
The following symptoms may be experienced by individuals with arthritis:
- redness and heat on the joint area
- swelling and stiffness of the joints
- joint pain
Greenwich home care can help your family members manage arthritis better at home. A healthcare professional will assist them with various activities as they will probably have difficulties moving joints normally.
While your loved ones receive the best home care in Greenwich, you can also do a couple of things to care for them.
- Relieve pain through hot or cold packs or both. Swollen and inflamed joints can definitely be painful. For pain relief, application of hot or cold packs can be good. Applying both consecutively can also be an option. A hot pack can relax the joints while a cold pack can help numb the area.You should know which of these choices will minimize the pain that your loved ones may be feeling. Just make sure that you will leave the packs on the joints for only 15 minutes maximum.
- Encourage your loved ones to lose weight, if necessary. When a person has excess weight on, such weight puts too much pressure on his or her joints. As a result, it causes more pain. Losing weight can help your loved ones reduce the pain and help make the condition manageable.
- Exercise. Exercising regularly can definitely help your family members control and maintain healthy weights. At the same time, they can also help the joints become more flexible and your muscles become stronger. Through various exercises that the healthcare provider may recommend, your loved ones can help minimize the effects of arthritis.
- Take medications as prescribed by your doctor. These medications can help reduce swelling or manage pain in the joints. Make sure to understand when and how these medications should be taken by your loved ones. Remind them to take their medications, too.
At Sage Home Care, we always look forward to assisting the elderly and ensuring their safety and wellness in their homes. We can provide a Greenwich home health aide in the nearby areas to help with a variety of services that address seniors’ varying needs.
Contact us at 1-800-578-4554 for your inquiries or to set an assessment.